Glen Atkinson, Astrologer, Gardener, Homeopath and Philosopher. His endeavors have been focused on developing the agricultural and medical work of the turn of the early 20th century German philosopher, Dr Rudolf Steiner. Continue reading
Steve Crimi is the publisher of Logosophia Books in Asheville, NC, and one of the keepers of the Alan Chadwick Archive. He and his wife Krys ran Philosophy Farm, an biodynamic/permaculture farm in the mountain of Western NC for over a decade. He has given talks internationally on Biodynamics, Sacred Geometry and the Sacred Origins of Western Civilization, and can be reached through www.logosophiabooks.com. A blog containing some of his writings is found at http://open.salon.com/blog/stevecrimi. Continue reading
Richard is an American expat who escaped from a successful Silicon Valley career to Wexford Ireland where he spends his time communicating to the world through several blogs and websites about how We the People can organize into a truly democratic and sustainable new society in the face of the hyper-capitalism that is destroying our health and well-being on every level.
I first became aware of Richard’s work through his article Escaping the Matrix, which appeared in Steward Brand’s The Whole Earth Review back in 1999. Using the metaphor of “the red pill” from the movie The Matrix, Richard opened my eyes to the deceit that passes as ‘the official truth’ in the mainstream media and our daily lives. 1999 was a much simpler time. SInce 911 it’s not uncommon for even popular tv shows to accept that we cannot trust our government. In 1999, even after the revalations of the Pentagon Papers or The People’s History books, though, it wasn’t quite as common. Richard simply and clearly exposed how corporations use taxpayers dollars and the military powers of our government to forward imperialistic programs around the globe for the benefit of their own bottom lines. It doesn’t matter to corporate planners how many trillions of dollars are spent to support access to oil or other commodities if the expenses are shouldered by the taxpayers and don’t cost them anything at all, probably not even taxes on their own income. Continue reading
The secret to avoiding calcium-related osteoporosis and atherosclerosis
While millions of people take calcium and Vitamin D supplements thinking they’re helping their bones, the truth is, without the addition of Vitamin K2, such a health regimen could prove dangerous. Without Vitamin K2, the body cannot direct calcium to the bones where it’s needed; instead, the calcium resides in soft tissue (like the arteries)—leading to a combination of osteoporosis and atherosclerosis, or the dreaded “calcium paradox.” This is the first book to reveal how universal a Vitamin K2 deficiency is, and the risk (in the form of cancer and diabetes, among other ailments) the absence of Vitamin K2 poses.
Written by Dr. Kate Rheaume-Bleue, a popular health expert on Canadian television and radio, Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox sounds a warning about the popularity of the calcium and Vitamin D craze, while illustrating the enormous health benefits of Vitamin K2 in making the body less susceptible to dental cavities, heart disease, prostate cancer, liver cancer, diabetes, wrinkles, obesity, varicose veins, and other ailments.
The book demystifies this obscure supernutrient—a fat soluble vitamin that humans once thrived on, ignored by scientists for almost seventy years
- Details how the consumption of grass-fed animals led to adequate Vitamin K2 intake—while grain-based animal feed helped eradicate Vitamin K2 from our diets
- Describes how doctors are raising recommended doses of calcium and Vitamin D—without prescribing Vitamin K2
- Details more damning facts about transfats—and how the creation of a synthetic Vitamin K interfered with the body’s Vitamin K metabolism
An essential book for anyone interested in bone health, or maintaining their overall health, Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox is the guide to taking the right combination of supplements—and adding Vitamin K2 to a daily regimen.
Publisher’s Press Release
Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life
Are you taking calcium or vitamin D? This news could save your life. Millions of people take calcium and vitamin D supplements for bone health, but recent research shows that this can actually increase the risk of heart attack and stroke as the added calcium builds up in arteries.
Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life is the revealing new book that explains the secret to keeping bones strong and arteries clear with vitamin K2, a little-known super-nutrient that humans once thrived on and that has been ignored by scientists for almost 70 years.
Written by Dr. Kate Rhéaume-Bleue, a popular health expert on Canadian television and radio, Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox sounds a warning about the popularity of the calcium and vitamin D craze while illustrating the enormous health benefits of vitamin K2 in making the body less susceptible to osteoporosis, heart disease, prostate cancer, liver cancer, diabetes, wrinkles, obesity, varicose veins, and other ailments.
- How much vitamin K2 is needed and how to get it;
- Why vitamin D and calcium must be supplemented by vitamin K2;
- The health benefits of vitamin K2, including straight, cavity-free teeth, fewer wrinkles, cancer prevention and strong bones in children;
- Which delicious “sinful” foods are brimming with heart-healthy vitamin K2 vitamin;
- How vitamin K2 plays a role in healing almost every major disease of our day;
- Vitamin K2 as the ultimate anti-aging vitamin;
- The recent studies on Alzheimer’s and how vitamin K2 may slow or prevent this disease.
Dr Kates website is here
PLAY OR DOWNLOAD THIS EPISODE HERE
“My love of the planet is greater than my fear of the law,” -David Lee Hoffman
He’s been called “The Indiana Jones of Tea” by nothing less than The New York Times, more accurately, though, he’s the best candidate I’ve seen for the title of “The World’s Most Interesting Man.”
Play or Download HERE
Here’s just a few of his qualifications for that title:
- As a young man, he invented a unique sonic cleaning system for cleaning valueable ancient textiles, artifacts and fine art that is used to this day by major museums
- Spent over 10 years as a consciencous objecter wandering over 100 countries, developing the knowledge and appreciation of teas that lead to the development of his tea importation and education programs and the sustainable architectural insights that lead him to build his testimonial to sustainable living, The Last Restort
- He was amongst the first Americans to visit the remote Tibetan kingdom of Dolpo.
- In the early 60′s he met and became a friend of His Holiness, the Dali Lama while living in Dharamshala, India
- Started the first quality tea companies in America and pretty much started the modern Tea Movement in the US, single handedly finding quality artisinal organic teas in remote areas of China (well before China loosened up economically), importing them into the US and then conducting ‘tea tastings’ across the country promoting knowledge of tea among Americans, leading to the first awakening to tea of many of today’s tea gurus
- He became known in China as the “the American Pu-erh Tea King”
- Sold his tea company and started growing heirloom grains and doing artisinal baking because he observed that the traditional grains still used in Asia smelled a lot better while backing and felt more like food when eaten than were the industrialized grains of America.
- Started a new tea company, The Phoenix Collection, for which he hunts for teas, imports, selling wholesale and direct over the internet
- He is the subject of filmmaker Les Blank and Gina Leibrecht’s 2007 outstanding documentary, All In This Tea
- As an architect, he designed, and continues to build, THE LAST RESORT, an environmental model of sustainable and harmonious living that attempts to assimilate both natural methods from the past with modern know-how to create a living system that effectively demonstrates possibilities of thriving in a non-polluting healthy environment. Its mission is to discover and perfect practical low-cost sustainable methods for waste management, water re-use, and food security.
- Was trained by acrobats from Circques du Sole on how to safely install tiles on the highest roof of The Last Resort
- Recycled extra slate tiles from Eagle Don Henley’s home construction for a section of the main roof of The Last Resort
- Several Tibetan monks contributed to the construction and creation of The Last Resort
- Probably the the most interesting: Marin County wants over $200,000 from David Lee Hoffman right now to pay for 40 years of failing to get permits for his sustainability demonstration projects – - or licensing for his tea businesses. If he doesn’t pay, they threaten to raze The Last Resort
On top of this, he’s a recognized expert in vermiculture and soil fertility.
The reason we requested an interview with him for Biodynamics Now! is because of the insights into Quality (in foods and in living) that he demonstrated in All in This Tea and through his tea companies, tea teaching and his work with heirloom grains and The Last Resort. Frankly, we’d need to spend 3 more hours with him (at least) in order to even begin to cover his insights into this area.
It appears to me that everything he does is for the betterment of everyone, now and in the future.
Blessed are they who earn their livelihood without harming others
David Lee Hoffman’s homepage is here (as is his current tea company, The Phoenix Collection)
The best page on The Last Resort is here
The New York Times’ Article on The Last Resort is here
David mentions Monica Spiller’s work with Ancient Grains during the interview. Monica Spiller is known as THE GRANDMOTHER OF HEIRLOOM WHEAT
Her heirloom grain initiative is The Whole Grain Connection.
Welcome to the Whole Grain Connection.We are a non-profit organization based in California, aiming to enhance the desirability and availability of whole grain breads and other whole grain products from organically and sustainably grown grains and thereby connecting farmers and bakers.We hope you will visit our website often for our latest website publications and activities.
Attn: Monica Spiller
Whole Grain Connection
500 West Middlefield Road #2
New Zealand grazing consultant Peter Bacchus shares a lifetime of experience on applying biodynamics to pastures. His multi-pronged approach considers balance of fertility elements, organic matter levels, soil life, and particularly soil life forces. Through biodynamic preparations and other tools he seeks to produce optimum grass quality and production for grazing animals. Also covered are biodynamic methods of pest and weed control. Continue reading
Around the globe most people get their calories from annual agriculture – plants that grow fast for one season, produce lots of seeds, then die. Every single human society that has relied on annual crops for staple foods has collapsed. Restoration Agriculture explains how we can have all of the benefits of natural, perennial ecosystems and create agricultural systems that imitate nature in form and function while still providing for our food, building, fuel and many other needs – in your own backyard, farm or ranch. This book, based on real-world practices, presents an alternative to the agriculture system of eradication and offers exciting hope for our future.
Our collective experience of the past sixty years has revealed long-term damage resulting from the industrialization of three necessities: education, food, and medicine. We are now at an impasse: the food makes us sick, the medicine fails to restore our health, and a fog of propaganda obscures the solutions to our problems.
Our interview is with leading Chinese medicine herbalists Jean Giblette and Peg Shafer. Jean, a medicinal plant grower, teacher and investigator, is the founder of High Falls Gardens, Peg Shafer, an accomplished plant worker and teacher, is the author of The Chinese Medicinal Herb Farm. With three decades of combined domestic herb-farming experience, Giblette and Schafer believe that sustainable production of East Asian herbs in the U.S. has the potential to benefit both local producers and practitioners.
Paul Jaminet, Ph.D., was an astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. Paul’s experience overcoming a chronic illness led the Jaminets to develop the views of aging and disease presented in Perfect Health Diet.
Suffering from chronic illness and unable to get satisfactory results from doctors, husband and wife scientists Paul and Shou-Ching Jaminet took an intensely personal interest in health and nutrition. They embarked on five years of rigorous research. What they found changed their lives— and the lives of thousands of their readers.
In Perfect Health Diet, the Jaminets explain in layman’s terms how anyone can regain health and lose weight by optimizing nutrition, detoxifying the diet, and supporting healthy immune function. They show how toxic, nutrient-poor diets sabotage health, and how on a healthy diet, diseases often spontaneously resolve.
Paul Jaminet tirelessly provides one-to-one support for people who are working through health issues with diet. You can read his archives, get recipes and ask questions at this website PerfectHealthDiet.com
Listen to this episode at iTunes Preview (or download to your iTunes)
Perfect Health Diet tells you exactly how to optimize health and make weight loss effortless with a clear, balanced, and scientifically proven plan to change the way you eat—and feel—forever!
We finally got a start on the Biodynamics Now! bookstore!
The bookstore will be a tool for you to access information about biodynamic food and farming and related strategies for producing quality food as well as books about Spiritual Science.
Your purchases from the Biodynamics Now! bookstore earn small comissions for the Biodynamics Now! podcast project at no cost to you!
In fact, every time you enter Amazon.com through the Biodynamics Now! bookstore, the Biodynamics Now! podcast earns a commission on everything you buy, even if it is not through the Biodynamics Now! shopping cart! (Believe me, we need your support to keep this effort going!)
You can use the link below to visit or shop at the Biodynamic Now! bookstore. If you want to volunteer to help us organize and expand the store, your help would be most welcome. You can contact me, Allan Balliett, at firstname.lastname@example.org.